How likely is your e-cigarette to explode?

The case has made headlines around the world, and is believed to be the first death caused by vaping products in the US.
The man, Tallmadge D'Elia, died at his home in Florida when his device blew up and projected fragments into his skull. He was said to have suffered burns over 80% of his body.
But how common are these kinds of incidents?
In the UK, Electronic Cigarette have caused burns and fires, yet these cases are rare.
Experts say the man who died was using a particular kind of vape pen, known as a mechanical mod, which is not that common in the UK.Mechanical mods do not use inner circuitry to regulate the voltage, and most e-cigarettes have more built-in safety features. Yet even these safer products can cause burns or fires if incorrectly used.
Mark Gardiner, lead officer for product safety at the Chartered Trading Standards Institute, explains: "Enthusiasts might experiment with different batteries and e-liquids to try and get the biggest vape. This can result in people building their own systems which can generate a lot of heat and then explode.
"That said, even an unmodified product can go wrong, as can any product containing a lithium-ion battery. Vape Wholesale And if a battery fails and explodes then obviously it's an extra hazard if it's in your mouth."Fire services are reporting being called out to a small number of fires caused by exploding e-cigarettes usually as a result of using the wrong charger, over-charging the battery, or incorrectly storing it.
Gary Asquith, station commander at West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service, says: "It's not the e-cigarettes that are unsafe in themselves, but the misuse of the lithium-ion batteries that they use."
He recalls the case of a man whose spare e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket.
"We posted a CCTV video of a man in Leeds who was carrying a spare battery for his e-cigarette in his pocket. It came into contact with a coin and a key, short-circuited and exploded.
"Most people aren't aware that this might happen. You can get carry cases for your spare batteries which you should put them in if you are going to keep them in your pocket."
Mr Asquith also says he's been called out to a number of house fires caused by incorrect charging of e-cigarettes.
"If you buy an e-cigarette and it doesn't come with a charger, and then you buy a cheap one online, that is when you might see the lithium-ion battery overcharging and catching fire."In February, Public Health England commissioned a report into e-cigarettes and heated tobacco products. They found that there are three million users of e-cigarettes in the UK, compared with nine million cigarette smokers.
The report noted: "Exploding e-cigarettes can cause severe burns and injuries that require intensive and prolonged medical treatment, especially when they explode in users' hands, pockets or mouths.
"Incidents are very rare, the cause is uncertain but appears to be related to malfunctioning lithium-ion batteries."u2022eney7485yyWEEEEDD

Views: 1

Comment

You need to be a member of Adrenaline Proving Grounds to add comments!

Join Adrenaline Proving Grounds

© 2019   Created by Heath Jackson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service